Sunday, August 28, 2011

Play D and D? We are hiring at Target!

Tonight Ry and I stopped by Target on our way home from Grammy and Pops. We needed some breakfast stuff and I had promised him some new Pokemon cards. All his little friends sit around at the morning Y and battle these cards...Every time I have to play it with him i feel like i should just poke my eyes out, but you know...he loves it.

So at target we are checking out and the pokemon pack gets picked up by the clerk. Now he TOTALLY looks normal...but here is what happens..

Clerk- Ohhhhh not Pokemon.
Stacie- ?!?!?
Clerk- you know, you shouldn't really invest your money in pokemon. Its not real Japanese animation.
Stacie- (in my head) Is this dude talking to me??? WTF!
Stacie - (outloud) mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Clerk- I mean...there are so many other wonderful things you could be watching...I think that (inserting fake title here cause I cannot remember what he said) Usuba wan gee gee is awesome. It is on episode 20 and the hero is really someone to look up to. They show his scars because he refuses to kill so he is always taking a beating.
Stacie- Ummmm. You know those pokemon cards are for an 8 year old.
Clerk- Oh....yeah...yeah....but i mean really...pokemon is not anime...anime is the name for Japanese cartoons. it is very arty...and wonderful.
Stacie- welll.....ummmmmm okay...yeah...love anime....ummmm see ya.

Now look...this whole bizarre conversation probably wouldn't have bothered me if i wouldn't have had a very similar one at Dominicks 2 weeks ago about comic con and civil war games with a clerk there. WTF people. I don't care if you prefer the original star trek over the next generation. I don't want to discuss that your other hobby is dressing up in union soldier uniforms and doing a night reenactment complete with cannon firing. I just want my milk and cereal.

And why is it that all of these odd young men feel that I am just the person they should be yapping to about this? I was not wearing my Buffy t shirt...I had my eight year old with me so it is OBVIOUS the cards are for him...

Besides....everyone knows Star Trek Next Generation was way better that the original..

1 comment:

  1. Did you not watch the D&D episode of 'Community'? It was awesome! Sam and I have never played D&D, but after watching that episode we thought it could be fun, especially if it was a drinking game. We'll let you know how it goes if we ever do it.

    Target store guy must be forming an anime cult, and I'm guessing not only did he like the cut of your jib but the 'Pokemon' cards identified you as vulnerable to his mystical charms. At least he didn't invite you to cosplay-battle in his basement.

    Star Trek (the original), Next Generation, and Enterprise are all good and worth watching, but I'm not willing to pick any over the others. I do not include the abominations DS9 or Voyager as they were not real Star Trek in the same way generic off-brand "cola" is not Coke, Pepsi, or even RC. It just isn't good enough.

    ReplyDelete