Friday, August 27, 2010

previous post February 2005

Thursday, February 24, 2005

Kim's Sister

First and foremost in my head, Sheri Mallard is Kim's sister. Sheri was most obviously more than that...but introductions are everything and Sheri was introduced as Kim's sister. Before I met Sheri, Kim had told me some seriously funny sister torture stories from when they were kids. Stories that rivaled my dress up my brother like a girl stories. Ahhh...Kim and I are kindred spirits.

Sheri died a few weeks ago. The night I found out she was in the hospital I cried and actually prayed...the day I found out she died I cried off and on all day. The day of her memorial service I wept when Geoff spoke and then cried all over Kims mom afterward.

Sheri and I were not close friends.

So why did my friend Kims sister passing affect me so deeply?

Just because we weren't close friends didn't mean we weren't friends. I don't think you could meet Sheri and not consider her a friend.

The first time I really talked to Sheri was when she came over to my new home to help me have a tastefully simple party. We had talked before at other parties, but we were alone for the first time at this one. She came in and put me at ease right away. Everyone out there knows I hate crowds and people in general and will escape a gathering with no word to the hostess like a whisp of smoke (sorry Kim's mom!). It wasn't until Sheri pulled up that I realized the dang party was at my house and there could be NO ESCAPE! Sheri gave me some things to do and chatted about her kids and Kim and next thing you know I was actually having fun. She never made fun of my horridly small kitchen done in pink, brown, and fake brick (what had the original owner been thinking). She got things organized in like 2 seconds and somehow did not make a mess behind her as she went. I was in awe. All I remember from that night is the peaceful time before it began and the rain that she had to run through at the end to pack up her car. She laughed and it seemed like nothing in life could get Sheri down.
I saw Sheri a couple of times after that...at other parties..another party at my place....at Kims....every time I saw Sheri I thought the same thing...

Sheri is what I want to be when I grow up.

Hello! She was only 2 years older than me, and yet its true. She had enough energy to power a mid sized town. Besides being beautiful inside and out, she was smart, funny, strong, and organized...I heard stories of existing on little sleep so she could spend time with the boys, her husband, family, tastefuly simple parties, church....

I can barely do the dishes...

Everytime I saw her or heard from her I thought...Man....I can do better...if Sheri can do it I can too! She gave me a jolt..an injection of ambitions. She made me realize that anything is possible.

Sheri leaves behind family and friends that will always love and remember her, but most importantly to me she leaves behind the lesson that we all have the potential to do great things and be outstanding people.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stacie...I love you for this...If I could stop crying right now, this would not take me 1/2 hr to type. You said it all. She was perfect and we miss her desperatly. If I could be 1/2 the person that she was, I would be better.
Thanks for this and you are a great friend.

Kim's Sister and best friend. XOXOX

No comments:

Post a Comment