Friday, August 27, 2010

old posts February 26 2005

Saturday, February 26, 2005

Dorothy Gilman where are you?

My mother is a BIG fan of the Mrs. Pollifax series that Mrs. Gilman writes. She used to tell us as we grew up..."You should try the Mrs Polifax books! You won't regret it!" We, of course, blew her off because we figured they would be some dry old lady book. Well....a couple of years ago I broke down and bought one. Holy crap they are good! Some parts had me laughing out loud. After reading the series I called my brother and offered my opinion...."DUDE! Mom was right! (don't tell her) These books rock!" So my brother borrowed the series from mom and now he is hooked too...You should really try them if you haven't already.

Anyway...My mom is going through serious Pollifax withdrawel. The most recent Pollifax novel was written in 2000 (Ms Gilman has published a Countess series book since then). That is going on 5 years ago...she keeps re-reading the series (as do I ) so she doesn't have a breakdown...but she is finally starting to slip...a couple months ago My mom started asking me at the begining of our conversations "so....any news on a new Pollifax book?" After 3 of these conversations I said "Ma...I'll let you know when I hear something"....after a couple more conversations she tried to slip the question in towards the middle of our talk. When she came to visit we went to Borders and she stalked the clerks in hopes of getting some insider information. I feel like her dealer...I finally broke down and emailed Ms Gilmans publisher....they said

"Ms. Gilman has begun writing a Mrs. Pollifax novel, and we're hoping that she
will finish the manuscript later this year--or early in 2005. "

Well...that only held mom for about a month...I can hear the yearning in her voice....I am suprised she hasn't hopped a plane to Connecticut to go in search of Dorothy Gilman.

Today I did the calculation and Ms. Gilman is going to be 83 this year! Mom....take a breather...maybe she's on a cruise or playing the slots in Vegas.

and if Dorothy Gilman ever reads this, do you think you could stockpile some books in case of an emergency. God forbid you go on a 2 year continental tour ...My mom might go insane!



No comments:

Post a Comment